10 Effective Essentials Oils To Help Children With ADHD
by R.K's Aroma on Jan 19, 2022
10 Effective Essentials Oils To Help Children With ADHD
Does your kid have an autism spectrum disorder or ADHD? It must be painful, and that never stopped you from trying out several treatments for helping your kid's needs. But have you ever tried Aromatherapy? Yes, Aromatherapy is one of the proven methods that can help your child fight against ADHD syndrome. You might now be wondering how regular Aromatherapy can help your kid's problems that experts haven't solved. All thanks to essential oils.
Yes, essential oils can do much more than save skin issues. Essential oils are often termed as a miracle cure. Using them could be very helpful to manage signs of different conditions, which also include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Here in this guide, I will cover everything you need to know about the significance of essential oils for ADHD.
What Is ADHD?
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder that is most common in kids and can also be found in adults. Many of the cases are diagnosed when the kids are aged between 6 and 12 years. Symptoms of ADHD can increase with age. It is natural for the kids to face trouble in behaving, focusing at times, etc. But, children with ADHD don't grow out of these attitudes. Their symptoms continue, which might cause problems at home or school.
Even though the real cause of ADHD is unspecified, the following factors play a massive role in developing ADHD.
- Premature birth
- Born with less birthweight
- Drug, alcohol, or smoking abuse while pregnancy
Children with ADHD are known to be restless and can face trouble concentrating. The symptoms of ADHD are likely to be seen at an early age but become more apparent after the child's situation changes, like interacting with other kids or going to school. Here are the symptoms of a child with ADHD:
- Exaggerated Energy
- Complications to Regulate their Emotions and to Control Behaviors
- Inability to manage emotional behavior and can't concentrate for long periods
- Forgetfulness & fidgeting
- Finds it tough to get along with the others
Stimulant and non-stimulant treatments are used to treat ADHD patients. But, with the recent surge in vogue for Aromatherapy, essential oils are now used to manage the symptoms of ADHD on a holistic level.
Essential Oils And ADHD
Since essential oils play a crucial role in healing ADHD, it is now time to talk about how and why.ADHD is a mental disorder that affects your brain. It causes a person to have hyperactive tendencies and behave impulsively. Kids with Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder can be easily distracted and have trouble paying attention. This could be irritating and frustrating when you try to get things done.
Essential oils can act as an additional tool to behavioral therapy, which helps lessen ADHD symptoms. Many studies have proven that behavioral therapy helps people combat things like trouble sleeping, lack of productivity, and disorganization. In addition to Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), essential oils are also a proven remedy to combat hyperactivity, trouble sleeping, and anxiety symptoms which often go hand-in-hand with ADHD.
Scientific Research On ADHD And Essential Oils
Essential oils look like a pretty good option, isn't it? However, we can't take any risk regarding our children. So, let's see: What does the research community say about essential oils? For hundreds of years, essential oils have been used therapeutically, yet there is an insufficient published study that supports their use. Clinical research is now underway for defining the therapeutic properties of several oils.
Minor studies and anecdotal information recommended few essential oils can aid people with ADHD. However, no study says essential oils are harmful to people who are troubled with ADHD.
Before going any further, it is suggested for parents to approach oils with caution as there is not much scientific research for it. Still, considerable evidence via testimonials indicates that essential oils could decrease problematic behaviors in children with ADHD. Essential oils can noticeably help with the following factors:
- Sleep issues
- Sensory overload
10 Essential Oils For ADHD In Kids
Essential oils equipped with focus-enhancing and calming effects are what you need in your tool kit to heal ADHD in children. Even though they might not directly reduce ADHD symptoms, a few essential oils surely help people with ADHD.
Here are R.K's Aroma's top choices.
Ylang-Ylang essential oil is taken from the roots and from the flower petals of the Ylang-Ylang tree that's grown more significantly in countries with an equatorial climate. You will definitely fall in love with the oil's sweet and dusky flower scents.
How Does Ylang-Ylang Oil Help Kids With ADHD?
- Enhances blood flow to the body
- Reduces blood pressure
- Highly beneficial to prevent septic infections
- Battles depression
- Helps Gastro-Intestinal Issues
Other Benefits Of The Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
2. Sandalwood Oil
Sandalwood Essential Oil is perhaps the best essential oil for ADHD. Sandalwood essential oil is taken from the stem of the sandalwood tree by using the steam distillation method. The oil is best known for its sweet and woody odour.
How Sandalwood Oil Helps Kids With ADHD?
- Sandalwood Oil is used widely to calm and relax the body
- It helps lessen blood pressure and undiagnosed inflammation.
- Continual use of Sandalwood oil decreases anxiety.
- It enhances attention and concentration levels.
- The oil helps in increasing oxygen and blood circulation levels.
Other Benefits Of Sandalwood Oil
- Anti Aging
- Anti Viral
- Anti Inflammatory
3. Bergamot Essential Oil
Surprised? Don't be. Bergamot Essential Oil is also best known for its relaxing ability. Many people consider it a one-stop solution for headaches and muscle problems. Bergamot oil is becoming popular as a perfect option to treat ADHD kids.
How Bergamot Oil Helps Children With ADHD?
- Popularly known for natural relaxing agent.
- Bergamot's sweet fragrance acts as a stimulant for sensory seeking.
- Provides Sensory relief too.
Other Benefits Of Bergamot oil:
- Arouses a feeling of freshness
- Improves the whole circulation of the blood vessels
4. Cedarwood Oil
Cedarwood oil is extracted from cedarwood trees by using a steam distillation process. It includes major components such as cedrol, alpha cedrene, thujone, beta cedrene, etc.
How Does Cedarwood Essential Oil Help Kids With ADHD?
- Stimulates pituitary glands
- Increases focus
- Supports good sleeping
Other Benefits Of Cedar Oil:
- Skin Issues
- Hair Loss
- Anti Inflammatory
- Dry Scalp
5. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile is a great choice when it comes to treating various ailments. This ancient medicinal herb is popular for its disease-fighting properties. It is touted to be the best when it comes to fighting stress and anxiety.
How Chamomile Essential Oil Helps Kids With ADHD?
- Lessen meltdowns
- Decreases hypertension and hyperactivity
Other Benefits of Chamomile oil
- Heal wounds
- Ease directions
- Help skin conditions like rashes, allergies, etc.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Promote good sleep
6. Vetiver Oil
Vetiver Oil is a fresh and woody essential oil that helps dissipate stress and anxiety to create a feeling of energy, joy, and freshness.
How Does Vetiver Essential Oil Help Kids With ADHD?
- Vetiver essential oil has anti-anxiety abilities that are used to relax the mind.
- This oil helps kids to enhance concentration by lessening distractions.
- It also reduces impatience levels.
Other Benefits Of Vetiver Oil
- Calms an overactive mind
- Controls anger.
- Decreases irritations
- Beats stress and anxiety with calming effects.
7. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is possibly the most versatile of all essential oils. For its cooling sensation and calming effect, Leppermint oil is considered the best for treating children with ADHD. Why don't you give it a try to improve mental focus?
How Does Peppermint Essential Oil Help Kids With ADHD?
- The smell of peppermint stimulates the focus in kids.
- It brings good energy levels.
Other Benefits Of Peppermint Oil
- Clear respiratory tract
- Heal digestive problems
- Has antimicrobial properties
- Soothes tired muscles
8. Mandarin Essential Oil
Of all the citrus fruits, Mandarin is known to have a sweet aroma. This essential oil has its roots in China. The Mandarin essential oil is known for its aromatic effects and healing properties with its charming and citrus scent.
How Mandarin Essential Oil Helps Kids With ADHD?
- Mandarin oil is famous for its stress-relieving properties
- It also helps in calming the nervous system
Other Benefits Of Mandarin Orange Essential Oil:
- Manages gut problems
- Treats acne
- Has antitumor properties
- Has antimicrobial properties
9. Frankincense Oil
Popularly known as the Olibanum, Frankincense oil is extracted from the Boswellia tree, which is grown in Somalia. Frankincense is known to contain excellent antidepressant properties.
How Does Frankincense Essential Oil Help Kids With ADHD?
- Frankincense contains nervine and calmative properties that help children to fight irritability, restlessness, and agitation.
- It helps in keeping children focused.
- The essential oil reduces negative emotions and stress reactions.
Other Benefits Of Frankincense Essential Oil
- Has antiviral properties
- Aid in arthritis and joint pains
- Boosts immune system
Another citrus oil that made it to our list of essential oil for ADHD is the Orange essential oil derived from orange peels. Citrus oils are best known to be the most uplifting oils.
How Does Orange Essential Oil Help Kids With Adhd?
- Calms anxiety levels
- Regular emotions
- Boosts happier mood in a stressful environment
Other Benefits Of Orange Essential Oil
- Reduces skin inflammation
- Relieves skin issues
- Fights against stomach issues
- Has antibacterial properties
How To Apply Essential Oils For Children?
Now after giving a little thumbs up to the essential oils, let's find how to apply them without causing any harm to our little ones. Here are the safe ways to use essential oils for children
- Before directly applying it to the skin, always mix the essential oil with any carrier oil (avocado, grape seed oil, olive, coconut, sunflower, and sweet almond oils). Using essential oils directly to the skin can irritate the skin.
- You can also disperse essential oils into the air through a diffuser.
- Put a few drops of oil into the bathwater.
- Inhale a deep breath of essential oils from the bottle itself, or you can add a few drops to a bowl with the boiling water.
- Mix essential oil in the spray bottle with the water and thoroughly mist linens, carpets, and in the room.
- Apply 2 or 3 drops to the clothespin, then attach it to the air vents inside your car or home.
- You can also spray a few drops on your pillowcase.